After 1,643 Israeli missile strikes in six days with 364 missiles fired by the Israeli navy, 1,114 air strikes and 165 artillery shells: who was killed? how many were injured? how many buildings were destroyed?The Economist
19 November 2012
Palestinians carry the dead body of a child evacuated from under the rubble of a house after an Israeli air strike in Gaza City November 18, 2012.
SEE UPDATES 20.11.12 BELOW.
Number of Israelis killed by fire from Gaza between January 1st 2012 and November 11th 2012: 1
Number of Palestinians in Gaza killed by Israeli fire during the same period: 78
(Source: United Nations)
Number of Israelis killed by fire from Gaza, November 13th-19th 2012: 3
(Source: press reports)
Number of Palestinians in Gaza killed by Israeli fire, November 13th-19th: 95
Number of those killed in Gaza under 15 years of age: 19
Total number of Israelis killed by rocket, mortar or anti-tank fire from Gaza since 2006: 47
(Source: Wikipedia. This is disputed; another source says 26)
Number of Palestinians in Gaza killed by Israeli fire from April 1st 2006 to July 21st 2012: 2,879
(Source: United Nations)
Number of targets in Gaza struck by Israel, November 13th-19th: 1,350
Number of projectiles fired at Israel from Gaza from November 13th-19th, 2012: 848
Number that did not fall in "open areas": 35
Number intercepted by Israel’s Iron Dome defence system: 302
Percentage of projectiles targeted by Iron Dome shot down, as claimed by Israeli military: 80-85%
Reported cost in dollars of one interceptor missile fired by Iron Dome: 62,000
Estimated cost in dollars of one short-range Qassam missile built in Gaza workshop: 800
(Source: News reports)
Cost in dollars of one Iron Dome battery; Israel has deployed five and plans 13 in total: 50m
Number of kilos explosive equivalent in payload of Iranian-supplied Fajr-5 longer-range rocket deployed by Hamas: 90 (200lb)
Number of kilos explosive equivalent of Israel Military Industry’s MPR-500 advanced-penetration precision-guided bomb: 900 (2,000lb)
Area in square kilometres of Gaza: 365 (141 square miles)
Area in square kilometres of Israel: 20,700 (7,992 square miles)
Population of Gaza: 1.7m
Number of Israelis within range of Fajr-5 missiles: 3.5m
Jewish population of Israel/ under Israeli jurisdiction (ie including West Bank settlements): 5.9m
Non-Jewish population under Israeli jurisdiction (ie including Gaza and West Bank): 6.1m
Per capita GDP of Israel in 2011, in dollars: 31,000
Per Capita GDP of Gaza in 2011, in dollars: 1,483
Verse of Exodus containing the phrase “Pillar of Cloud”, the official codename for Israel’s current Gaza operation: 13:21
Verse of the Koran containing the phrase “Stones of Clay”, Hamas’s codename for its current operations: 105:4
Number of days before Israeli general election: 64
UPDATE 20.11.12 Euro-Mid Observer for Human Rights
- There have been an estimated 1,643 Israeli missile strikes in six days: 364 missiles were fired by the Israeli navy, there were 1,114 air strikes and 165 artillery shells.
- One hundred and ten Palestinians have been killed including 25 children, 14 senior citizens and 12 women. Seventy-two per cent were civilians.
- Eight hundred and ninety one Palestinians, including 277 children, 164 women and 62 seniors have been wounded.
- There have been 664 rockets fired from Gaza which have hit southern Israel.
- Three Israeli civilians have been killed and 10 civilians and four soldiers injured.
- Israel has bombarded 822 government and civilian buildings in Gaza, completely destroying 71, and severely damaging 187 and partially damaging 559.